We sleep approximately 8h of each 24-h cycle, that is 1/3rd of our life, But sleep disorders are often neglected by patients and doctors compared to other medical illness, because
- Patients are often keeping the problem of sleep as a personal and private issue.
- They may be unaware of sleep disorder causing their abnormal movements at night, or of obstructive sleep apneas.
- Sleep-related symptoms are often attributed to be normal in life.
- ‘Tiredness’, may be thought to be due to old age, stress, shift work or overwork, rather than to a sleep disorder.
- Medical and other healthcare professionals are generally less aware of sleep.
- Doctors examine while the patient is awake so that direct observation of a sleep disorder by the doctor is unusual.
- Medical schools do not give importance to sleep disorders, because sleep medicine is a new science